May 30, 2024  
Undergraduate Record 2024-2025 
Undergraduate Record 2024-2025

Student Safety, Support and Grievances

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below. 

Safety and Support Services

Office of Student Safety and Support

(Peabody Hall, Second Floor, (434) 924-7133,

Associate/assistant deans and case managers within Student Safety and Support provide incident response support for students in a variety of behavioral and mental health contexts and also engage in general, nonacademic advising and troubleshooting of student issues and needs. The Dean-on-Call program, providing 24/7 support for students and incident response within the University community, is managed by Student Safety and Support, as is the Parent Help Line. In addition, Student Safety and Support staff collaborate with the EOCR and Title IX offices in providing support services for students involved with reports alleging acts of bias and/or sexual and gender-based violence. See the Just Report It website for more information.

Office for Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights

(Main Office: O’Neil Hall; (434) 924-3200,

The Office for Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights (“EOCR”) serves all members of the University and Medical Center community, including students, faculty, and employees. EOCR enforces the University’s policies prohibiting retaliation, harassment, discrimination, and sexual and gender-based harassment and other forms of interpersonal violence. EOCR also monitors compliance with the policies and procedures created to ensure equity and access to academic and employment opportunities, programs, and services. The EOCR team includes the ADA team, Title IX/Sexual Misconduct team, PADHR team, and the Employment Equity team.

The University’s Preventing and Addressing Discrimination and Harassment policy (“PADH Policy”) prohibits discrimination on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, military status (including active duty service members, reserve service members, and dependents), national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information. The Preventing and Addressing Retaliation policy (“PAR Policy”) prohibits retaliation against individuals who complain of discrimination and/or harassment prohibited by the PADH Policy or who participate in an investigation of such complaints. Students, faculty and staff who believe they have witnessed or been subjected to discrimination, harassment, or retaliation under the PADH Policy and/or PAR Policy are encouraged to contact EOCR at (434) 924-3200 or

Reports of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation may be reported through the University’s online reporting system, Just Report It. Students may also file a complaint with EOCR using the online PADHR Complaint Form.

The University’s Policy on Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment and Other Forms of Interpersonal Violence (“Sexual Misconduct Policy”) prohibits Sexual Harassment as defined by Title IX, which includes Quid Pro Quo Harassment, Sexual Harassment, Sexual Assault, Dating Violence, Domestic Violence, and Stalking on the basis of sex in an education program or activity (“Title IX Prohibited Conduct”) and other forms of sexual and gender-based misconduct, including Non-Consensual Sexual Contact, Non-Consensual Sexual Intercourse, Sexual Exploitation, Intimate Partner Violence, Stalking, Quid Pro Quo Harassment, Hostile Environment Harassment, Complicity in the commission of any act prohibited by this policy, and Retaliation against a person for the good faith reporting of any of these forms of conduct or participation in any investigation or proceeding under this policy (“Sexual or Gender-Based Prohibited Conduct”) (collectively, “Prohibited Conduct”).  These forms of Prohibited Conduct undermine the values and purpose of the University, and such conduct will not be tolerated. For questions regarding the Sexual Misconduct Policy, students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to contact the Title IX Office at (434) 297-7988. The Title IX Office is located in O’Neil Hall, Room 037 (Terrace Level).

Reports of prohibited conduct under the Sexual Misconduct Policy may be reported through Just Report It.

EOCR offers a wide range of services for students, including informal and formal options for resolution of complaints of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation, education and training sessions for students about their rights and responsibilities under the University’s policies on equal opportunity and civil rights, and assistance with accommodations for disabilities and pregnancy (in conjunction with the University’s Student Disability Access Center) and religious observances. For additional information, please visit EOCR’s website.

Student Legal Services Program

(Newcomb Hall, Room 460, (434) 924-7524,,

The Student Legal Services Program provides legal counsel to degree-seeking UVA students. The program is overseen by an attorney executive director, and may have interns and another attorney on staff, who assists students with a variety of civil and criminal legal matters, including landlord/tenant, contracts, criminal/traffic, consumer, property torts, student organization concerns, and name changes. The program also provides referrals for matters it does not handle (e.g., bankruptcy, wills and estates, immigration, real estate, personal injury, tax). As of July 1, 2024, all services will be free; however, students may still need to pay court filing and litigation fees depending on the case. The office does not offer any assistance regarding conflicts between UVA students, nor in matters against the University or the Commonwealth of Virginia.

University Ombuds

(2015 Ivy Rd., Room 305, (434) 924-7819,

The Ombuds is a confidential resource available to assist students with unresolved problems or complaints. The Ombuds assists in identifying University resources or departments that address specific problems or concerns; provides information on University policies or procedures; and aids in resolving problems or complaints through inquiries or other informal means. The goal of the Ombuds is to see that all members of the University are treated fairly.

Student Grievances

General Information

The complaint and grievance procedures below are available to any enrolled student at the University, regardless of instructional mode, including those enrolled under the auspices of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). Students or prospective students who have complaints against the University that are not resolved at the institutional level may contact the following organizations:

For unresolved complaints concerning University compliance with accrediting standards, contact the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) at (404) 679-4500. See the SACSCOC Complaint Procedures Against the Commission or its Accredited Institutions.

For unresolved complaints concerning a condition or incident involving the University, contact the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) at (804) 225-2600 or visit the SCHEV website. SCHEV retains oversight of unresolved complaints from students enrolled under the auspices of SARA.

The Office of the State Inspector General (OSIG) is charged with receiving complaints alleging fraud, waste, abuse, or corruption by a state agency. For more information, refer to the OSIG website.

The Office for Civil Rights (OCR) of the U.S. Department of Education enforces federal laws prohibiting discrimination based on age, color, disability, national or ethnic origin, race, or sex in programs and activities that receive Federal financial assistance. For more information, refer to the OCR website.

Academic Suspension

Students who have a grievance relating to an academic suspension should consult the academic grievance procedure outlined in PROV-019: Student Academic Suspension Grievance Policy. Students who wish to appeal a grade should consult the appropriate procedure for their school of enrollment.

Behavioral Misconduct

Students who believe another student has engaged in a violation of the University’s Standards of Conduct may file a complaint with the University Judiciary Committee. Students may also consult with the Policy, Accountability, and Critical Events unit in the Division of Student Affairs.

Bias and Discrimination/Harassment

Students who believe they have been the target of bias or subjected to discrimination/harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, military status (which includes active duty service members, reserve service members, and dependents), national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, pregnancy (which includes childbirth and related conditions), race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information should file a report through the Just Report It website. Students who wish to seek resolution with the Office for Equal Opportunity and Civil Rights (EOCR) may contact EOCR at or (434) 924-3200 or consult the Preventing and Addressing Discrimination, Harassment, and Retaliation (PADHR) Complaint Procedures.


Students who believe they have been the target of hazing behavior should file a report through the Just Report It website. Additional information regarding the University’s policy and protocols related to hazing may be found at Hoos Against Hazing.

Interference of Speech Rights

Nonemergency reports concerning any incident of disruption to Constitutionally protected speech (including, but not limited to, distribution of literature or public speaking under PRM-017: Use of University Facilities or Property and Limits on Direct Solicitation and Advertising) may be submitted through Just Report It. Additional resources are available on the University’s Free Speech website.

Sexual and Gender-Based Harassment and Violence

Students who wish to report quid pro quo harassment, sexual or gender-based harassment, sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, sexual or gender based hostile environment harassment, nonconsensual sexual contact/intercourse, sexual exploitation, stalking, intimate partner (dating or domestic) violence, retaliation, and/or complicity should file a report through the Just Report It website. Students may also consult the University’s Sexual Misconduct Policy at

Student Affairs

Students who have a grievance concerning University personnel or regulations in the area of Student Affairs may pursue a grievance according to the procedure below.

A student’s concerns related to a staff member in Student Affairs that cannot be resolved between the two parties should be discussed with the respective director or dean of the unit on a one-to-one basis;

Should the concern be related to the director or dean of the unit, the grievance should be filed with the Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer;

In circumstance No. 1, if appropriate relief is not forthcoming, the next level of discussion should be with the Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer; and

Should the level of concern relate to the Vice President and Chief Student Affairs Officer, appropriate documentation should be presented in writing to the President of the University.

Threats or Acts of Violence

In situations where violence occurs or appears imminent, students should immediately call 911. Students should report nonemergent violent or threatening behavior occurring on or off University or Medical Center Grounds using Just Report It or access additional resources listed in HRM-028: Preventing and Addressing Threats or Acts of Violence. Referrals will be made to the appropriate University authority. For more information see the UVA Threat Assessment website.